Friday, August 14, 2009

Queen of Diamonds






This past week my computer and my car broke down. I cried on Monday morning as Joe was walking out the door for work. I was excited to be back in AZ but I was also sad as I had just spent three weeks with my entire family and now I was going to be home alone without a car or a computer. Joe felt bad but told me I was being a little dramatic. (I can be dramatic sometimes even though I do not like to admit it and I do not like others to point out that I am being dramatic) It was not the best way to start out the day or week. Joe left and I played with Tommy for a couple of hours and then put him down for his morning nap. Normally during nap time I go in the office and check e-mail. I walked into the office and looked at my dead computer in angst and then I realized that I had a VERY OLD computer in the bottom of the desk so I turned it on praying that it would work and it did! I was so excited that I could connect to the world while Tommy napped. I was also excited as I found some old pictures on the computer from the summer of 2007. I thought I would share a few from our engagement that happened around 2 years ago. (I can't remember the exact date but if you ask Joe he will remember. He is a lot better at remembering important dates)

Joe asked me to marry him at my family lake cabin in ND. We love to play pinochle together. We were playing a game outside overlooking the water and he had stacked the deck so it would deal out perfectly. I almost had a double rope and all I was missing was a queen of diamonds. Joe thought I would ask for the queen of diamonds right away but I did not realize what was going on. He said, "Isn't the queen missing her diamond?" I realized what was going on as he got down on one knee and said he had the diamond for his queen. I just melted. He is so amazing and it was the perfect way to get engaged.







2 comments:

  1. If you're feeling lonely you can give us a call. We could always stop by if your car isn't working or whatever. I know how it is. It was about a year and a half before I made any friends when I first moved here. Or even if you just want to chat on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great. Like finding money in a pair of jeans you haven't worn in a long time. . .only better. I know how it feels when everything seems to go wrong all at once. You just have to laugh and remember the good things.

    ReplyDelete