Monday, September 13, 2010

What's in a name?


I love family names. I was named after my Great Grandmother Lora Smith. My middle name is Jo which was my Grandma Petrik's middle name as her name was Mary Jo.

I have always wanted to name my children after family members. Tommy was named after my Dad, Thomas Petrik. When we found out we were having a girl Joe and I both loved the name Lily but it was not a family name. So, we gave her the middle name Anne which is Colleen's middle name. Colleen is Joe's mom.

However, about a month after Lily was born I received a phone call from my mom. She was cleaning out her cabin and found an old black vase that was my Grandmother's. Inside the vase was a note written by my grandmother in 1986. It said that this vase was given to Aunt Lily from Sheldon around 1940. WOW! Lily does have a family name. She was named after my Great Great Aunt Lily Blom and we did not even know it when we named her. Joe and I had debated about spelling Lily's name with one L or two L's and I wanted one L which is exactly how Lily Blom spelled her name. I got goosebumps and I am so proud to say that Lily has a family name and someday she will be given the black vase. Now I need to do a little digging and find out more about Lily Blom.



3 comments:

  1. What a great story. Things always happen for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this story Lora Jo! You know I love family names as well. Lily Anne Jo has quite a story to her name and that vase is an awesome keepsake. I'm so happy you are blogging again! love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! Thank you for sharing that with us Lora.

    ReplyDelete