Friday, February 19, 2010

Lent

It is the Lenten season and Yes, I am a Catholic now.. I have been Catholic for almost a year. I never thought I would turn Catholic coming from my Evangelical background. I thought Catholics were crazy and I actually thought they were a cult... it is so sad how wrong I was. One of the reasons I had such a hard time even thinking about becoming Catholic was because I met a lot of Catholics that did not practice their faith or even know what the church really teaches. They seemed to go to church but lived a totally different life once they left the church building. This can happen in any denomination but I felt like Catholics were the most hypocritical. I was never going to date a Catholic let alone marry one but I married a good one! He does believe in Christ and takes his faith seriously. Joe opened my eyes to the fact that there are Catholics out there who actually believe in Christ and have a fullness of faith and teachings and I wanted to become a part of that as well. When Joe and I first got married I was not going to turn Catholic but we agreed to go to the Catholic church together as we wanted our family to be as one. I changed my mind about turning Catholic after learning more and realizing that I was not turning away from Christ but opening my eyes to more things and teachings. I could write a whole book on the new things I have learned and some of my Evangelical friends may now think I am crazy but I love the Catholic faith and am so thankful that my husband and I can raise our kids in a faith filled home. The outside world is scary and our families need all the prayer and support they can get to raise children.

Lent started this past Wednesday and this is the first year in my life where I am actually giving something up and thinking closely about Lent. I don't want to just give something up. I want to start a new habit in place of giving something up. I have decided to watch less tv and spend less time on the computer during nap time. Tommy can take naps for 2-3 hours each day and I often find myself checking e-mail and other things while watching Oprah or the View. I feel like it is such a waste of time. I could sit and watch Fox News for two hours everyday and I think that is not a benefit for me anymore. So, instead I am going to focus on praying more and enjoying the silent times during nap time. My sister-in-law gave me the book, The Power of the Praying Wife, for Christmas. I started reading that and it has helped me to focus my prayer time during the day and I can already tell a difference in my relationship with Joe since I have been praying for him more each day. I am really learning to enjoy the silent and quiet times during the day instead of always having the tv/radio blaring in the background. I will keep you posted on how faithful I can remain to my new commitment. It is nap time now and I am typing away so I better get off and enjoy some quiet time.

2 comments:

  1. Lora, you and I have had conversations around this topic in the past and so I am compelled to comment. You are in the right place in your faith for you and your family. It is not a religion. It is a relationship with Christ which you and I both know well. The denomination is actually irrelevant to me anymore. It is focusing on Christ, HIS plan for you and your family and seeking to be more Godly woman in your faith. More women of our generation need to learn from your example. Rather than fight over which Christian church they are going to raise their family in many are not doing anything and raising their families with NO faith. Our kids will be lost generation someday if this keeps up so we need to pray pray pray. Love ya lots. This is seriously my longest comment on record!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, Thanks for the comment! I miss our talks and I really want to make a better effort to come see you and your gorgeous house and family the next time I am home! I love reading your blog as it allows to me feel like we are still staying connected! I am so thankful that we can both raise our families in faith filled homes! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete